XML has been integrated into SQL Server 2012 so that XML data can be stored within databases using the xml data type. SQL Server 2012 also allows for relational data already stored in a database to be changed to XML, and for data to be loaded as XML using various methods. You can query this data using the XQuery language within the XML data type methods. SQL Server 2012 also provides support for using FOR XML to extract relational data from a database in XML format and the use of OPENXML to generate relational views from XML. This course demonstrates how to use the xml data type, XML schema collations, and how to load XML data and how to create XML indexes. It also explores how to retrieve data using FOR XML, process XML data using OPENXML, and how to query data using the XQuery language. This course is one of a series in the SkillSoft learning path that covers the objectives for the exam 70-461: Microsoft SQL Server 2012: Querying. This exam is one of the requirements for the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associated (MCSA): SQL Server 2012 certification.
Candidates for this path should have two or more years of experience using SQL Server 2012 or a previous version of SQL Server, and they are seeking to prove their proficiency in writing queries. Candidates for this exam are IT professionals who have jobs in which database administration is their main area of responsibility, or they work as database developers.
Microsoft SQL Server 2012: Managing XML Data
- describe the considerations involved in storing XML data directly within SQL Server 2012
- recognize how to implement XML data storage in SQL Server 2012
- describe the characteristics of indexes
- recognize how to handle XML data in different scenarios
- recognize how XPath is used
- recognize how to query XML data using XQuery
- recognize the modes that can be specified for a FOR XML clause
- distinguish between regular and nested XML queries
- retrieve and convert data using the OPENXML statement
- use SQL Server 2012’s XML integration features
- recognize how to manage XML data in SQL Server 2012
- control how XML-related queries are returned